Holbeck – Temple works
Another former flax mill, Temple Works comprising an Egyptian style facade, was completed by John Marshall in 1840 and is the only Grade 1 listed building in Holbeck. The Marshall family’s keen interest in Egyptology is apparent throughout the mill’s architecture and included a Cleopatra’s Needle type chimney before it had to be replaced. One other interesting feature that has become a part of local legend were the sheep that grazed on the grass-covered roof. In keeping with it’s colourful history, Temple Works was once a site of the Plug Riots and eventually became an arts centre in 2009.