Holbeck – Tower Works
The Tower Works factory, next to the canal. was founded in 1866 by T.R. Harding to make steel pins for the textile industry.
The three Italianate towers where added during extension work begun in 1899 by Harding’s son Colonel Thomas Harding who employed William Bakewell to extend the works.
The three towers where built to remove pollution and steel dust from the complex. The largest is based on Giotto’s Campanile in Florence. The Middle sized one is a copy of Torre dei Lamberti in Verona and the smallest is styled after a Tuscan tower house.