Holbeck – Dark arches

 

Leeds ‘new station’ was built in 1866 on a four brick arches which span the River Aire, Neville Street and Swinegate. The new station was situated next to the terminus of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal at Granary Wharf and the underground complex still gives pedestrian access to this.

The area was used as an underground shopping centre in the 1990s but in recent years this declined and most of the space is used as car parking.