Marshall’s Mill and the Round foundry
The Round Foundry was built as an engineering works between 1795–1797 by James Fenton, Matthew Murray, David Wood and the financier William Lister, trading as Fenton, Murray and Wood, (later Fenton, Murray and Jackson). It was at the Round Foundry that Matthew Murray made his name as a great engineer. He produced textile machinery, steam engines and the first locomotives for the Middleton Railway including Salamanca. The Round Foundry developed to become one of the world’s first specialist engineering foundries.